Monday, July 28, 2014

Jul 28: Miracles in Castle Hills


Oi, tudo o mundo!

It was a great week in Castle Hills. Sister S and I are seeing miracles each day here!

This past Wednesday we got to go on exchanges with the Sister Training Leader Leaders! I went to the Sonterra area with Hermana C. Hermana C was one of my very first Sister Training Leaders when I was a brand new missionary! Before Wednesday, my last exchange with her was when I was still being trained! Now Hermana C only has a few weeks of her mission left. Time flies!! It was an incredible exchange. I loved every minute of it and learned so much from her. It was so helpful! I feel like I am more prepared to serve the sisters I get to work with, as well as prepared to be a better companion and better missionary.

I admire Hermana C so much! One thing she said (from President Slaughter) that really struck me is, "It is more important to magnify your companion than it is to magnify your calling." More important than magnifying yourself as senior companion, or junior companion, or training leader, or trainer, or district leader, or anything, is to magnify your companion and their calling. I think this applies to almost any relationship! I hope to learn more of these skills on my mission.

Dad, I enjoyed the talk you sent by Ezra Taft Benson about "President Kimball's Vision of Missionary Work." In order to increase convert baptisms we must ...
1.) Learn the sacredness of saving souls.
2.) Increase our Personal Faith
3.) Set Personal Convert Baptism Goals
4.) Be Urgent. Actively engage ourselves in member missionary work.

I like this pattern. I think it could be used for setting many different kinds of goals.
1.) learn importance- (learn the doctrine/the "why")
2.) increase your faith in the principle
3.) Set a personal goal
4.) get to work and be urgent about it!

Our investigator, Ar, is doing wonderfully! We have taught him 4 or 5 times now, and he has a date for August 16th! He came to church for the first time yesterday (a member gave him a ride) and it went very well! I feel confident that he will be baptized. He is such a kind man and has a humility and genuinity about him that inspire me.

We met a new investigator this week named Al! He went down a rough path, found himself in trouble, and now is a completely different person. He is very open and has enjoyed meeting with us and learning. We did some contacting at the park that night - there were so many people there! I've been using Spanish a lot in this area. Our area has lots and lots of Spanish! We have 2 sets of Spanish elders whose areas overlap with ours, so we give lots of referrals back and forth when we meet someone Spanish-speaking or when they meet someone English-speaking.

I forgot to mention this last week, but one night we were at dinner with a sweet sister from the ward named Sister B. She is the kindest lady! I really admire her! She has so much light coming from her, and I hope to be like her someday!

Her table is one of those little ones with extenders on both sides. (you pull the side up and secure the little poles underneath it. Not sure if that makes sense...) We were finishing a lovely dinner at her little table, when I bumped the table or something, and the whole side of the table by me collapsed! I ended up with a bowls worth of green beans on my lap and ice water every where. Sister S couldn't stop laughing! And Sister B is just the sweetest! She chuckled and chuckled. That night Sister B said, "Why is it that you two are so easy to talk to? I am just so glad you came for dinner!" She then continued to scoop us huge bowls of ice cream! She said, "If it won't offend you, I'll use these big bowls!.. I'm just trying to save you another trip to get seconds!"

This week in my studies I have read some from Jacob 5. What stands out to me is the persistence of the Lord in saving his trees. After doing all he can, over and over and over and over again, he sees that the fruit still isn't good, he weeps, and he asks, "What could I have done more for my vineyard?" (verse 41). I know that the Savior truly is that way. He works and works and works for our Salvation. He has given everything to help us and provide a way for us! And yet, when some of the people he loves do not accept his help, he cries, and asks, "What more could I have done?" I hope that I can develop this attitude as I serve his people throughout my life. I hope that I can have the perspective to never cast unrighteous judgment, or to just give up on anyone or anything the Lord asks me to do. I hope that I can be filled with his love and continue in his labor until the work is finished.

I am so grateful for this gospel. I know with all of my heart that Jesus Christ lives! I know that He alone is our Savior. Only His grace and His mercy can save us. I know that this church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is the only true church on the earth! It is Christ's church! I know that baptism is essential. It is the entrance of the path to eternal life! I know that as we participate in missionary work, even in small and simple ways, the Lord is pleased, and our lives will be filled with more peace and more joy.

I hope y'all have a super week! Thanks for your love, prayers, and support!

-Sister E. Greenall

No comments:

Post a Comment