Sunday, May 11, 2014

Apr 14: Oi!



Hi Family!

It's been an incredible week.

A's baptism was so beautiful! She is doing so well. Once again, my favorite part of the baptism and confirmation was the confirmation the next day in Sacrament meeting when she received the gift of the Holy Ghost!

She even let us take one picture before the baptism! (She really dislikes taking pictures!) But she let us take it on the agreement that it would not be posted on the internet! So this picture is only for personal viewing, not for sharing! :)

The blue bonnets are everywhere! They are beautiful!

Today it has been thundering and pouring, with flashes of lightening! Pretty exciting! The 44 degrees feel so cold. I think I will have to live in tropical climates for the rest of my life.

B and S surprised us with these bracelets one day. They are so kind! My family has grown significantly since coming to Texas.

Here are some wise words from President today, "You must realize that the devil does not care what people believe, as long as what they believe is not the truth. Hence the reason there are so many churches."

We are going to B and S's house today to do some service, so I look forward to that!

Some miracles this week:

We met several incredible people while knocking on some doors!

We went to teach M with her grandmother (who is a member) again. We were reading from Moroni 7 and discussing how God makes the truth so clear. He makes good and evil as clear as black and white. On the other hand, Satan, and the world, will try to make everything gray.

After we finished that chapter, I felt impressed to pull out the word of wisdom pamphlet from my purse. We began teaching her the Word of Wisdom. After she read the list of things to refrain from doing, she laughed a little and told us she does all of those things. She is in her late teenage years and talked about how she wouldn't want to commit to something like that before she even turns 21.

Sister T began to lovingly express to her the benefits of making those decisions now. The Spirit started testifying to me of my responsibility as a missionary. I felt a huge responsibility to make everything as clear as night and day to her. I saw in my mind an idea of where she could be 30 or so years from then based on the decisions she makes now, and how those decisions would affect her eternally. I've never been so bold in my life! The Spirit was so powerful, I just opened my mouth, and I know that the things I said were the things the Holy Ghost wanted M to know. I told her about how I had just turned 21, and how my parents wrote to me that they were so pleased with me to know where I was as a 21 year old, compared to where I could be. I testified of the joy I find serving God and following His commandments. I testified that we were representatives of Jesus Christ, and that if we left her thinking drinking was ok, we would be lying. I testified that drinking is in no way acceptable, that God does not allow any sin. I testified that nothing is worth giving up the things God has to offer. God taught me in that experience of the power and authority of my calling as a missionary. The Spirit that was there was not from me, but from God. M at first took it lightly, but as I began to testify, the mood changed, and I could tell she took the message seriously. By the end of the lesson, she committed to live the Word of Wisdom for the entire week.

The thing that impressed me most about that experience was that afterward, I realized that the feeling that had filled me and that was so strong as I testified, was God's love for M. While I was speaking boldly, the only thing I felt for her was love, not anger or anything else. I know that M felt that because when she closed the lesson with a prayer, she thanked God for sending her "friends, the missionaries" and for our and her grandma's support as she tries to live the word of wisdom.

I learned for myself that God chastens, corrects, and is bold with us because He loves us so deeply. He knows and sees the dangers ahead of us, and He wants us to avoid those painful situations and eternal consequences. His love for us is a miracle!!!

The next day I also came across this verse in the Book of Mormon as Alma is teaching his son Corianton: "And now, my son, I would to God that ye had not been guilty of so great a crime. I would not dwell upon your crimes, to harrow up your soul, if it were not for your good." -Alma 39:7

Another miracle!: Yesterday on Sunday, we didn't have a dinner planned, and during church a member asked us if they had us for dinner that night. I told him no, but he asked if we had a dinner planned. I told him we didn't, but that we would be alright. He invited us to their home for dinner, and when we got there, they had also invited their nonmember neighbors over! wow!!

After that we were able to meet with Brother M in the park! A member came with us, and she was the perfect fit for him because she is so peaceful and kind and doesn't get defensive about her beliefs. It was such a good meeting. Brother M had a neck brace on and couldn't use his right arm. His health is not good. He was only able to meet with us because he had some acupuncture done so he doesn't feel the pain right now. But while his health is struggling, I am amazed by his spiritual growth and how he has completely changed!

After that lesson at the park, we went to try B and S's. We hadn't been able to get a hold of them. They are going through a lot of health challenges also. By a miracle, we knocked on the door and they answered! They let us in to pray with them.

I love the people here! I am so blessed to be serving as a representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!

I know that my Savior lives. I know that He truly felt and experienced every pain, doubt, fear, depression, guilt, sickness, anxiety, fatigue, joy, peace, love, hope that we have ever experienced. He knows us perfectly and I am so grateful for that.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

Love,
Sister Greenall

No comments:

Post a Comment